Danimer Scientific Biopolymer FAQs
RRead on for some answers to frequently asked questions about Danimer Scientific and our products.
What does Danimer Scientific do?
Danimer Scientific has worked to create a healthier global product marketplace for over a decade. As an R & D leader in the biochemical industry, Danimer Scientific operates with the belief that most plastic articles intended for short-term use can be manufactured with biodegradable polymers.
- We produce resins used by major brands to make fully biodegradable products that can successfully replace many petrochemical plastics. You’ll find us in shrink-wrap, disposable flatware, coffee cup waxes, bottle seals, packaging and label glue, and many other products consumers and businesses use every day.
- We provide research, development, and toll manufacturing services for bio-based materials to business partners.
What specific products does Danimer Scientific offer?
Danimer Scientific’s product applications include additives, aqueous coating, RHMA, monofilaments, extrusion coating, extrusion lamination, film resins, blown film, hot melt adhesives, injection molding, thermoforming, and wax replacement polymers. Danimer Scientific produces energy stimulation polymers for hydraulic fracturing which eliminate the harmful environmental effects of toxic waste products and lessen water usage.
We own more than 125 patents across nearly 20 countries for a range of manufacturing processes and biopolymer formulations, including Nodax™ PHA. Danimer Scientific’s biopolymer resins, including various combinations of PHA and PLA (polylactic acid), are created through a proprietary reactive extrusion process.
A wide variety of functionalized PLA products are customized for whatever end use is required by our customers. These PHA /PLA compounds are designed to perform across a wide spectrum of technical characteristics, allowing customization to fit specific customer requirements. As a result, Danimer Scientific offers substantially improved product performance for biopolymer resins derived primarily from materials that are compostable and biodegradable.
Which services does Danimer Scientific provide?
Danimer Scientific manufactures Nodax™ PHA, as well as polymer alloys with other biopolymers or feedstocks.
Danimer Scientific also offers spec-based research and development for clients who need customized formulation of biopolymers to meet exact performance requirements.
Danimer Scientific further offers a specialty tolling service that allows customers to outsource to Danimer Scientific while using their own formulations, materials, and instructions. By offering this customized research and development service paired with our 120 million pounds of capacity for reactive extrusion, Danimer Scientific serves as a one- stop shop for many companies.
What happened to Meredian Inc. and Danimer Scientific?
In 2014, the two companies merged under Meredian Holdings Group, now known as Danimer Scientific.
Is Danimer Scientific PHA safe?
Danimer Scientific PHA was FDA Approved for Food Substance Contact in March, 2014. No toxins are used or created during the manufacture of PHA biopolymers.
Are Danimer Scientific biopolymers biodegradable?
Danimer Scientific PHA and PLA biopolymers are formulated to meet the biodegradability standards for ASTM, OWS and Vinçotte. Danimer Scientific’s PHA will aerobically or anaerobically biodegrade in soil, water, and industrial or home compost.
How long does it take for Danimer Scientific PHA to biodegrade?
Danimer Scientific PHA will biodegrade within about three months to one year. Polymer alloys may take longer, but most are compostable, depending upon each product’s characteristics.
Why does Danimer Scientific exemplify Eco-Compatibility?
One goal of Danimer Scientific is to enable people and communities to benefit from environmentally-friendly products that decompose seamlessly, leaving behind no particulate matter or toxic trace.
- Our toxin-free extraction and extrusion processes are cost competitive and leave almost no carbon footprint.
- Our customized formulations enable us to team up with other makers of bio-based products to create a wider range of goods.
- Our scalable production capacity and modular manufacturing model enable us to meet global demand.
- Our biopolymer resins can be used to make biodegradable and compostable diapers, toys, medical implements, single-use food service items, food packaging and storage products, beverage bottles, carryout shopping bags, shipping materials, glues, adhesives, coatings, seals, trash bags, agricultural mulch films, and many other consumer and industrial goods.
- Our energy-stimulation biopolymer fluids mitigate the environmental impact of hydraulic fracturing by reducing water, energy and chemical usage. This reduces the potential for underground pollution through seepage and disposal of the water used in the process.
Danimer Scientific is one of the few companies in the world to achieve this level of eco-compatibility in biopolymer products and processes.
Do you have a question to ask Danimer Scientific? Please Contact us by Email or call 229-243-7075.