Powerful, New Solutions for Bioplastic Production
Danimer Scientific customers use our certified biodegradable and compostable PHA plastic (polyhydroxyalkanoates) to manufacture products and packaging sustainably, completely free of the petrochemicals historically used to make plastics. Based on Dr. Isao Noda’s original formula for Nodax™, Danimer Scientific’s PHA has characteristics that are highly competitive with both petrochemical plastics, and other bioplastics. PHA is versatile, strong, and flexible enough to:
- Survive high-speed processing machines during manufacture without tearing or disintegrating
- Bond successfully with adhesives so it can be attached to other materials, like paper
- Withstand high temperatures during manufacture and storage
Most significantly, PHA won’t melt, crack or flake when exposed to sunlight over an extended period of time. PHA also preserves food and other stored goods better than many competitors.
Danimer Scientific PHA is currently custom formulated and combined with other bioplastics, such as PLA, to create hybridized biopolymers to meet specific strength, durability and biodegradability timeline requirements. This functionalized PLA can be adapted for practically any function within today’s industrial and consumer marketplace. Our research creates an ever growing range of applications for end use, worldwide.
Danimer Scientific PHA Positively Impacts Human Health and the Environment
From toys to personal care to food and beverages, Danimer Scientific’s PHA offers a healthful and toxin-free replacement for most plastic products people use every day. The applications of Danimer Scientific PHA bioplastics are huge, especially in the realm of single-use food service and medical items, packaging, and personal care and household products.
PHA-based resins can be used for manufacturing the following articles, to name a few:
- Bottles for beverages, personal care, and household products
- Toys, shoes, and apparel
- Food packaging and service items such as cups, lids, straws, containers, and utensils
- Healthcare bandages, tubes, syringes, gowns, masks, and gloves
- Label and packaging glues, shrink wrap, and stuffing
- Micro-fibers for feminine products, diapers, wipes
- Bags for shopping, trash collection, and composting
- Agricultural mulch and fishing lures
Danimer Scientific’s PHA is FDA approved for food contact, a rare classification that validates the biopolymer as a safe and healthy alternative to petrochemical plastics for food packaging and service items.